Monday, December 5, 2011

Tis the Season

Here we are in December 2011, time to look back on a year of challenge and change and to be close with the people and things that count. I always find December to be a month of extremes and an especially  important time to just be in the moment, whether that's a quiet walk in the snow or the need to be patient when standing in line in a crowded mall.

For myself, the holidays have become much simpler in the last few years. Most of the kids in my family have grown, some of my family lives out of town. My mother (she is 84) and I will probably have a quiet afternoon together and dinner. There's also some holiday gatherings and areas of community where I sometimes volunteer and it's always wonderful to see people who come back to Winnipeg for a visit.

For many people, the holidays are also a traditional time for readings, whether it's the Solstice, New Years or just the fact that we have a little free time. Sometimes there's a last minute rush to get in (so it's good to book ahead to ensure a time that is convenient for yourself and friends).

Amid all the hustle and bustle, many of my friends and clients work with and contribute to charities; one that I heard of recently is WISH - Women In Secondary Housing, which helps women and families transitioning away from abusive situations. I have done readings for charity fundraisers from time to time, I have had a lot of fun working with Gio's Cares and they have helped many people locally through individual gift packages as well as donations to many areas of service. I also have a personal grattitude to the Christmas Cheer Board.

Some other local suggestions are:
Children's Hospital
http://manitoba.mcc.org/
If anyone would like to post additional suggestions for local charities, feel free to use the "post a comment" feature (below this article)

However you observe this special time of year, whether in gratitude for abundance or if you are struggling, I wish you all the very best for 2012. Stay close, stay safe and as our little planet makes another trip round the sun, remember we are all in this together!
Much Love,
Trev.