Thursday, May 27, 2010

Paranormal / Energetic Disturbances

*Please note resources specializing beyond what I presently offer professionally in this area are mentioned at the bottom of this article. I will add to this as I become familiar with, or have further contact with other resources. I base these mentions on good feedback from others I trust, or my own firsthand connection with them. There are many approaches and beliefs that practitioners work with and I hope those in need find what works for them. I value feedback on these or other local resources and hope this is helpful. - Trev

Occasionally I am contacted by people who are having energetic disturbances in their homes (and lives). It seems a natural assumption that as I am a reader of energy I might be able to help. Although I am not what you could classify as a clairvoyant or medium (I'm more of an extra large), I have some sensitivity to these things and an objectivity to other possible causes that are more often the case. I only recommend treating the possibility of something being "paranormal" once all other causes of disturbance are ruled out. Sometimes I am able to be helpful in identifying these causes that are more a result of our own issues. Where these things might be more the result of something beyond our own explanation I encourage people to carefully seek out those who might specialize in that field (more on that later). Even then I would suggest that inner work is paramount to re-establishing our own well being. What my work is more tied into is the stuff we can change within ourselves. Often when we take care of that the rest falls into place. If you don't want to explore the possibility of inner work as a solution  and would rather just automatically blame an external "entity", or "bad luck", I'm not the reader for you.

I often come across some things in these areas of disturbance that can prove helpful and I will share a little of that here. I should mention that there are many different types of disturbance or activity that people can be experiencing. What people often assume to be a ghost or "entity" can, in many instances, be a projection of their own energies or trace energies left behind from other people. This is a lot like when you get squirrels in your attic and it can get dramatic and harder to clear if it is left uncared for or made worse if it starts playing off other conflicts in the environment. In the instances of something elemental or atmospheric being the cause, this often draws off these issues. The more we don't take responsibility for ourselves in these situations and let fear play out, the more the situation can escalate.

In many of theses instances, people are dealing with issues that are repressed BEFORE the odd activity starts. There are sometimes relationship issues, trauma, grief or conflicts around beliefs that contribute to the disturbance. Sometimes treating these things is all it takes to clear up the problem, a lot like if you leave crackers laying around you get mice, clean up the crumbs and the pests move on. Having your own healthy energy is like having a cat that scares off the mice. If you clean up the unresolved conflicts the energy patterns often clear themselves.

Sometimes what I call  a "stuck" energy pattern is playing off our own stuck stuff and it starts going back and forth. For some who are religious, by all means I'd say seek help from your particular faith path.  If however you aren't of a particular faith or have conflicts about it, then using these resources could just create more tension. A person who has had negative experiences in a particular faith path, reading aloud scripture or dogma they disagree with or feel intimidated by is sometimes only going to get further conflicted. Frankly you'd be better reading Winnie The Pooh (again just my experience).

If you have others in the home that seem to be dramatic about the problem, they may be (in all fairness unconsciously) holding on to whats going on. I have encountered a number of situations where the person this is centering on is, in a way, actually holding others hostage by being a victim to the situation. I'm certainly NOT saying this is always the case, but I've come across this as an explanation many times over the years.

If children are involved in the environment, it is highly important to not play into drama around them, likewise with people who are otherwise impressionable. The more people react to this, the more it feeds the negative pattern of things. For some emphasizing that we all have our own guardian energy and  being conscious of that creates a positive current. Sometimes this can be a great turning point for a person to get on track with positive things. If you watch a lot of scary movies or read murder mysteries and the like all the time you might want to refocus your attention. Are there things in the home that are positive and inspiring? Trying to treat energetic disturbance when anyone in the home is hanging on to unhealthy distraction (or addiction) or is dealing with any form of imbalance is only going to treat the surface of things (like spraying air freshener on a backed up sewer).

Again, I am not discounting what others experience as their truth about manifestations of energy. There are a lot of varying experiences out there. This is the realm of the living though and we DO have the right to our space. You wouldn't let a stranger walk into your home and throw things around or cause a fuss. Just because something seems to manifest in spirit doesn't give it the right to disrupt your life.

Unfortunately there are some who react to these situations with an immediate response that has a vested interest in finding something where there's nothing or very little. Ever notice that you never see the "Rescue Mediums" say "I don't think there's anything here". I will say that I LIKE that show, I'm not knocking it, in all fairness maybe they don't bother making a TV show out of those instances. But I also find "Paranormal State" and a lot of other TV shows frustrating in that they have people on them that seem to mean well, but my impression is they often make way more of things than they need to. Adding scary music and "dramatization" doesn't help and (in my opinion) only discredits those who DO energetic clearing and work conscientiously.

If you DO feel the need to call in a resource, as with any professional service, check around. Just as there are mechanics you'd take your car to when you hear a noise, there are some who have a great reputation for taking care of a small problem and not overcharging, (this is generally what I hear of in terms of good resources here in Winnipeg). There are others that will give you a whopping bill for stuff that really wasn't needed ( see the post on avoiding scams: "Curses, Foiled Again!"). Also I should mention that just because a person doesn't charge doesn't necessarily make them genuine. They could (again I'm trying to be fair) with good intention, be playing into their own need for things to be there that aren't or in some instances, their own aggrandizement. Be cautious. Straighten out as much as you can on a practical level. You just might find you're not as haunted as you think.

All this being said, I do respect that there are good resources out there - Again, Winnipeg seems to have quite a few that I have heard good things about, but not having had direct contact with some of them I cannot mention them here. These are people that I respect in that they seem to have helped a lot of people and deserve the good reputation they have. I have only offered here my experience on my own perceptional level.